The Dos & Don’ts of Winter Propane Safety
Propane is your most reliable way to stay warm during inclement winter weather. But, even propane requires extra precautions when Old Man Winter strikes. These tips can help you stay safe and warm all winter long.
Here at BrightStar Propane, your safety is our No. 1 priority, so please follow these simple dos and don’ts.
- Let your propane tank run empty. It will need checked for leaks if it does. See the video above to make sure you know how to read your gauge. (Automatic Delivery customers — we monitor the tank for you so you’ll never have to worry about running out!)
- Remove ice from your regulator by hitting or kicking it.
- Heat your home with a grill or stove.
- Shovel snow off roofs and onto propane equipment.
- Use a portable generator (gasoline, diesel, or propane) indoors or in enclosed areas.
- Keep your tank at least 30 percent full.
- Keep vents clear and in working order.
- Tell BrightStar Propane right away if you run out of propane or have to turn off your system so that a safety check can be performed.